Jarrad Smith is a Senior E-Discovery Attorney with Kilpatrick Townsend’s LitSmart® E-Discovery Team. With more than nine years of litigation experience, Jarrad brings a wide variety of expertise to e-discovery. With Kilpatrick, Jarrad has conducted numerous document reviews in a variety of practice areas including trademark and patent infringement, complex business litigation, financial services and due diligence, government investigations, labor and employment, cybersecurity, and data privacy. Jarrad assists in the management of document review teams, develops review protocols, conducts high level QC and privilege review, and ensures the accurate, efficient, and cost effective review of electronic documents. In addition, Jarrad assists with the management of bulk subpoena responses for large financial institutions, with responsibilities that include analyzing subpoenas for validity and sufficiency, implementing and tracking legal holds, analyzing potentially responsive data, preparing responses and communicating regularly with federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. Further, Jarrad assists with the management of bulk notices of dispute and arbitration for telecommunications clients, with responsibilities that include assessing the validity and value of claims, working to resolve claims prior to arbitration and litigating demands through the arbitration process.
Prior to joining the firm, Jarrad worked in the insurance industry where he counseled clients on risk management best practices and conducted risk and insurability assessments of clients’ contracts. Previously Jarrad was a partner with a law firm based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina where he represented clients in lease and general contract agreements, family law matters and estates disputes, in both civil and criminal courts.
Publications, Articles & Presentations
- "Kilpatrick Townsend Named Top Law Firm Innovator at 6th Annual Relativity Innovation Awards," KT LitSmart Blog, October 2019
- "It's Purple Raining Sanctions: Litigation Regarding Prince's Estate Provides Framework for Determining When Sanctions Apply Under FRCP Rule 37(e)," KT LitSmart Blog, April 2019
- "NC Pro Bono Resource Center Highlights LitSmart Attorney and Volunteer Jarrad Smith," KT LitSmart Blog, April 2019
- Traps of Technology: Ethical Issues in E-Discovery, Presented at Kilpatrick Townsend's annual Ethics & Substance Abuse Seminar, Feb. 2019 (Winston-Salem)
- "Third Party Discovery Subpoenas in Arbitration Proceedings Under State Law: A Fifty State Survey," The American Journal of Construction Arbitration & ADR, Vol. 2. No. 1 (2018) (co-authored with Peter Jacobus and Katie King)
Professional & Community Activities
- Casualty and Property Insurance Licenses in multiple states, including North Carolina
- Certified North Carolina Beekeeper
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., Scholastic Honors, CALI Award (2009)
- University of Florida, B.A., Criminology, Minor in Classical Studies, cum laude, Dean's List (2005)
- North Carolina (2009)