Construction & Infrastructure, Financial Services, Technology & Software
Virginia Duke Ring is E-Discovery Of Counsel with Kilpatrick Townsend and Quality Control Leader of the LitSmart® E-Discovery Team. As QC Leader, Virginia develops and oversees the implementation of processes, protocols and workflows across all services that the team provides to ensure the delivery of consistent, high quality work product. As a member of team management, she focuses on utilizing existing and new technologies to help the team achieve its strategic goals. She has been recognized as an industry leader for her development of creative tools and workflows to address some of the firm’s most complex and unique data management projects. One of her many skillsets lies in understanding both the scope and end goals of a project and utilizing technology to create customized, innovative solutions to fulfill a client’s needs. As part of her workflow development, she also creates customized, comprehensive tracking mechanisms that allow for clear, real-time reporting on any various of potential issues. Virginia also has extensive experience in complex litigation and e-discovery, particularly through her work on large-scale litigation matters. She has represented clients in a wide range of industries, including insurance, defense contracting, construction, financial services, retail supplying, and chemical manufacturing. For these clients, she has managed all aspects of e-discovery, including document preservation, identification and collection, data-mapping efforts, resolving disputes regarding data collection and production, and making determinations regarding technical document-related issues.
Virginia has devoted considerable time to the representation of pro bono clients in a variety of matters. She successfully represented a client in petitions for immigration relief, including a U-Visa and related employment authorization documentation. She has also represented a client in a property damage and personal injury lawsuit against a municipal government. Currently, Virginia serves as discovery counsel on a large litigation that seeks to provide access to counsel to individuals detained in immigration facilities.
Publications, Articles & Presentations
"Discovery Practices Are Big Business," Law Practice Today, November 2019
"Kilpatrick Townsend Named Top Law Firm Innovator at 6th Annual Relativity Innovation Awards," KT LitSmart Blog, October 2019
“The Future of US Pretrial Discovery Involving European Union Data after Salt River,” Pretrial Practice & Discovery, American Bar Association, Summer 2019, Vol. 27 No. 4, August 27, 2019
- "Quarterly Spotlight On.... Senior E-Discovery Attorney Virginia Duke Ring," KT LitSmart Blog, June 2019 (Author S. O'Neal)
- "Tips for Managing E-Discovery in a Large, Complex Litigation - Part One: Identification and Preservation of Data," KT LitSmart Blog, February 2019 (Co-author)
- "Kilpatrick Townsend's LitSmart® E-Discovery Team Announces the Addition of 5 New E-Discovery Experts," KT LitSmart Blog, February 2018
- “Navigating an Insurance Coverage Dispute – Obtaining Insurance Coverage in Commercial Litigation Where You Wouldn’t Expect It,” presented at 2015 ACC-GA Value Challenge Event, April 2015
- “Penn State Teaches a Lesson in Asserting Bad Faith Claims,” ABA Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation, March 2015
- The Duty to Defend, Bad Faith Claims Based on Breach of the Duty, presented at The Seminar Group CLE, February 2015
- “Responding to Litigation,” New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, Volume 12 - Litigation, Arbitration and Settlement, December 2014
- Insurance Policies and Coverage Toolkit, Practical Law – The Journal (September 2011)
- Duke University, J.D. (2008): Semi-Finalist, Kilpatrick Stockton Mock Trial Competition, Best Advocate Award; Duke Journal of Gender Law and Policy, Staff Editor and Article Editor; Appellate Litigation Clinic; Duke Law Scholarship Recipient
- Auburn University, B.A., Political Science and Economics, summa cum laude (2005): Phi Beta Kappa; University Honors Scholar; Honors Thesis; Charles Anson Award (highest GPA in Economics Department)
- District of Columbia (2009)
- Georgia (2008)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Led development of SBA PPP Loan workflow
Led the development of customized workflow to manage influx of thousands of SBA PPP loan applications. Utilized Relativity to track applicants, application documents and all steps in the application and approval process. Provided real-time reporting to the client on dozens of data points.
- Lead discovery counsel for large, international construction company in multiple matters
Currently serves as lead discovery counsel for a large, international construction company in multiple matters. In this capacity, develops data preservation and identification strategies, assists with the implementation of legal holds, develops data maps to identify potentially relevant data sources and custodians, and oversees data collection, data processing and management.
- Lead discovery counsel in complex construction matter
Currently serves as lead discovery counsel in a complex construction matter involving more than 15 terabytes of client, opposing party and third party data within the U.S. and abroad. In this capacity, coordinates the operational and legal aspects of e-discovery for multiple entities, hundreds of custodians, and multi-stage document review.
- Discovery counsel for major government contractor in insurance coverage matter
Served as discovery counsel in an insurance coverage matter representing a major government contractor. Assisted with issues involving preservation, litigation holds, custodian interviews, and data identification. Also oversaw data collection, culling, review, and production. Assisted with fact development and deposition preparation for numerous fact and expert witnesses. Gathered factual support and compiled documents in database to prepare for trial.
- Discovery counsel for insurance coverage matters
Served as discovery counsel overseeing all aspects of discovery for insurance coverage matters for various clients. Oversees the collection, review, and production of documents. Acts as a liaison between attorneys on the Insurance Case Team and the LitSmart E-Discovery Team. Also assists clients with issues related to protective orders, preservation, and data disposition.
- Conducted due diligence reviews for potential mergers and acquisitions
Served as insurance counsel assisting with due diligence reviews for numerous clients. Advises clients regarding insurance issues related to potential mergers and acquisitions, reviews and analyzes insurance programs of potential target companies, and assists clients with insurance-related questions that arise during the transaction.
- Counsel for pharmaceutical manufacturer in international arbitration involving contract dispute
Represented a cutting-edge pharmaceutical researcher, developer, and manufacturer in the global pharmaceutical industry in an international arbitration involving breach of contract with an equipment manufacturer.
- Counsel for office supply retail company in litigation seeking insurance coverage for False Claims Act case
Represented an office supply retail company in a dispute with its insurer regarding coverage for a False Claims Act lawsuit. Managed all aspects of e-discovery, participated in developing legal arguments and drafting dispositive motions, and served as an integral part of trial preparation team. Assisted with briefing in related Ninth Circuit appeal.
- Successful Sixth Circuit appeal in insurance coverage matter
Successfully represented a global sports, entertainment, and media company in an appeal regarding insurance coverage before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Strategic acquisition for Zodiac Aerospace
Served as buyer's counsel for Zodiac Aerospace, one of the largest providers of aircraft equipment and on board systems for commercial, regional and business aircraft, and helicopters, in its acquisition by merger of Enviro Systems, Inc., an Oklahoma-based designer and manufacturer of Environment Control Systems for business aviation and helicopters.
- Extensive experience in variety of pro bono matters
Examples include: Successful representation of a pro bono client in a lawsuit against a Georgia municipality involving personal injury and property damage resulting from multiple instances of sewage intrusion into the individual’s home. Successful representation of a pro bono client seeking various forms of immigration relief, including a U-Visa and related employment authorization documentation.