Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring, E-Discovery
Julie Pape is a Senior E-Discovery Attorney with Kilpatrick Townsend’s LitSmart® E-Discovery Team. With more than 15 years of experience in bankruptcy, creditor’s rights, and related litigation, in addition to two years as a contract attorney focusing on commercial litigation and government investigation projects, Julie brings unique expertise to the LitSmart team. Julie has conducted numerous document reviews in a variety of practice areas including construction, trademark, intellectual property, trade secrets, complex business litigation, and bankruptcy. In addition, she has conducted high level QC and privilege review and prepared complex privilege logs.
Previously, Julie was Of Counsel in the Winston-Salem office of an international law firm where she focused on bankruptcy, capital markets, and commercial litigation. In her bankruptcy practice, she represented Chapter 11 debtors, secured creditors, creditors’ committees, trustees, trade creditors, landlords, and other interested parties on all sides of contested matters in bankruptcy cases and other insolvency actions. Julie’s bankruptcy work involved a variety of contested matters such as collateral valuation, adequate protection and stay relief, the existence of a default and the secured creditor’s rights and claims under the loan documents, claim priorities, lender liability allegations, plan treatment and confirmation, trade vendor relationships and critical vendor motions, claim objections, attorney and professional fee disputes, and other UCC, contract, and real estate issues. She has also represented buyers and sellers of assets out of bankruptcy estates. Also, she regularly advised senior executive management on the various contractual, litigation, and regulatory compliance issues that arise out of insolvency situations.
In addition to her bankruptcy practice, Julie has extensive experience in various types of litigation, including products liability, consumer finance, directors’ and officers’ liability, breach of contract claims, and avoidance actions and other bankruptcy litigation. Through this work, Julie gained significant courtroom experience before bankruptcy and appellate courts, and managed all facets of commercial litigation, including analysis of potential claims and exposure, pleadings and motions practice, discovery, oral argument, trial preparation, mediation, and settlement negotiations.
Publications, Articles & Presentations
- "Kilpatrick Townsend Named Top Law Firm Innovator at 6th Annual Relativity Innovation Awards," KTLitSmart Blog, October 24, 2019
- "Just Because We Can, Doesn't Always Mean We Should," KTLitSmart Blog, October 2019
- Traps of Technology: Ethical Issues in E-Discovery, Presented at Kilpatrick Townsend's annual Ethics & Substance Abuse Seminar, Feb. 2019 (Winston-Salem)
- “NHL Scores Big on Attorneys’ Fees Against Nondebtors,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, Vol. XXXV, No. 2, February 1, 2016
Professional & Community Activities
- Amos Cottage, Inc., Board of Directors, Chair
- Carolinas Network of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Board of Directors, Chair
- The Arts Based Elementary School, Former Chair and Member
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D. (1998)
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., English and Psychology (1993)
- North Carolina (2001)
- New York (1999)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina